Friday, March 30, 2018

Friday Flicks: Unsane

Unsane
★★★

What It's About
The unsettled victim of a stalker, Sawyer reaches out to a therapist and gets committed to a mental health hospital. As if things couldn't get any worse the stalker has gotten a job there. Starting to question her own sanity, Sawyer fights to survive.













I debated with myself about whether to review this one or not. I'm guessing most of you haven't heard of it??? But I decided to go ahead any way. I was very excited to see it since I love psychological thrillers and the entire movie was shot with an iphone so I was curious.

I had a few disappointments with this one. First, my iphone won't do half the things this one did. Night vision video? What the hell?! Come on! I guess I should get the iphone X if I want that feature. ;)

My real disappointment was that the previews lead you to believe that you're going to be trying to decide if Sawyer is actually sane or not. I don't know why they marketed it that way. There was never any doubt in my mind that she was sane. They should have just marketed it for what it was. A twisty, disturbing tale of a girl held against her will in the one place where no one will believe her.

So if you decide to go see this one, just go into knowing she's perfectly sane and it makes the unfairness of it all so much more disturbing and creepy.

Claire Foy was quite different than she is in The Crown and even puts on a passable american accent. Her stalker, Joshua Stine did an excellent job of being maddeningly creepy.

Besides feeling a bit too long, I enjoyed this one.

Let's Talk
Why do movies and even books often mislead us in their advertising? It's so annoying!

Recommendation
You don't have to pay full price at the theater but it's worth renting from Redbox or Amazon and enjoying a chilling thrill ride in the comfort of your home.

8 comments:

  1. I saw a preview for this on YouTube and I instantly wanted to see it but, like you, I thought we'd be trying to figure out whether or not she was sane. That is really irritating that they can't just be straight with you. I mean, even the title suggests that! Still, I'm glad you enjoyed it; I wasn't sure about the whole 'filming on an iPhone' thing but I'm glad it worked out relatively well.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes that's quite the premise! I love movies like this and definitely want to check it out, although for the life of me I have no idea why they would market it that way! Urghh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh I HATE when the marketing for a movie doesn't match up with the actual film! Or worse...when all the good bits were in the trailer...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Erica. I hate false marketing! This one sounds interesting -- I might have to give it a try if it shows up on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this... it sounds creepy. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it despite being misled by the advertising.

    I think sometimes they advertise for what they think will sell instead of marketing it for what it really is. It's just something that happens, and people won't know until they've already bought the book, watched the movie, or tried the food.

    I still need to watch The Crown!
    Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate that kind of marketing! It makes me think the studio thinks the movie sucks so they have to fool you into watching it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard of it, but I wasn't sure what it was about. It sounds interesting with your description. I actually want to watch it now where was I wasn't really interested before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't heard of this one; and I'm always intrigued by movies which are shot with an iPhone. Shall see if I'm able to find this online.

    ReplyDelete