I've always loved to read but until a about 6 years ago my habits were quite different. It seems like a lot of book bloggers got more into reading and blogging because of either Harry Potter or Twilight or both. I'm not accusing everyone of that but it seems like those series helped a lot of book lovers become even more immersed in reading. If this is true, then what kind of reader were you before? I was quite different.
- I wasn't always reading a book, in fact, there were times I actually went months (gasp!) without reading anything at all.
- Because of the above mentioned habit, I almost feel like I enjoyed books a little more back in those days. I know that sounds crazy, but when your jumping from book to book with not even a 24 hour break it's hard to feel like you can really and truly enjoy something.
- I never read more than one book at a time.
- The whole going months without reading...yeah, that was because I was one of those morons who was under the impression that there was nothing to read. Silly me.
- I was a library browser. When I had gone months without reading I would get that itch for a good book and would go to the library. I'd wander through the shelves for hours, pick up a book, read the synopsis, and THAT was my entire book choosing and reading process.
- I didn't ever really discuss anything I was reading with anybody else. So sad.
- I read mostly mystery as a teenager. Maybe that's why I read so much teen stuff now.
- I wasn't opposed to trying a genre that was different and new but I usually didn't read anything but my preferred genre.
- I sometimes read more than one book at a time.
- When I finish a book I don't go more than 24 hours without starting another.
- The poor library is still used but gone are the browsing days. I usually have s specific goal in mind when I go and there's no room for browsing that would lead to more books to read.
- I'll read almost anything now. Any genre or style.
- Obviously I discuss books with other people now. Blogging is a blast and I adore my book club and all the discussions we've had.
- Oh, sure I used to buy a few books but now? Holy crap, I buy books like crazy!
- There's a whole world of bookish things online that I never even knew about.
- I now have a completely different appreciation for books and reading. It's hard to read book reviews in newspapers and magazines and not be intrigued.
- I recognize author's names, and not just the big ones, and go to lots of fun bookish events.
See, things have changed quite a bit. Mostly I'm glad of it, but I do miss those lazy days at the library spent browsing and I still struggle with that feeling that I'm reading too much too fast to truly enjoy it. And if you're wondering what started this change of reading habits...it wasn't a single book, it was actually my book club. I started going and a whole new world opened up to me. How about you, how have your habits changed? Was it a certain book that brought you back to reading or have you always been a huge reader? And how do you deal with reading so much so fast? Am I alone in my feelings about truly enjoying a book?