Monday, November 7, 2011

Review: The River Between Us

Title The River Between Us
By Richard Peck
For Book club
Pages 158
Recommended by Book club

First sentence To me, the best part was that we'd make the trip by car.
Synopsis
With the Civil War looming Tilly Pruitt is struggling with her younger sister, Cass and her visions and her twin brother Noah and his desire to join the fighting. Then one night, a mysterious girl and her dark traveling companion arrive on a steamboat and Tilly's mother offer to take them in.

General thoughts
This is the first Richard Peck book I've ever read and I've heard good things about him. I'm happy to say I agree with all of Richard Peck's fans. This one was a historical fiction about more than just the civil war. I found it all very interesting. Unfortunately I didn't  LOVE this book, but I didn't hate it. It was just a fast, interesting read. I read it in one sitting and enjoyed the writing; laughed out loud a few times and got a little choked up too. I'm just afraid it won't be very memorable which is a shame cause it was quite good.

Characters
Tilly, Very relatable teen girl. Even back then she had the same feelings teen girls have now.
Delphine, I tend to be bothered by girls like this, but Peck handled her well and I found myself liking her.
Calinda, I always admire girls like her.
Noah, Typical teen guy. ;)
Cass, Heartbreaking story, I wished she could have had a happier ending.

Would I recommend it? 
Yes, it's a quick interesting read and Peck is a very talented writer.

3 comments:

  1. I read this years ago and you are right, I remember that I liked it, but I don't remember much about it at all. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really hard for me to relate to American civil war books because I'm not familiar with America history but it sounds like an interesting book. Based on our mutual like of certain books I think I will like this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suey, See? I liked it but I just know I won't remember it. :(

    Lan, Yeah, it might be a little hard for you to relate but this wasn't just about the civil war, in fact, it was hardly about the civil war. I can't say what happens, it would ruin it, but it's about a piece of american history that is rather interesting.

    ReplyDelete