Monday, September 5, 2011

Review The Body Finder

Title The Body Finder
By Kimberly Derting
For Fun
Source I own it

First Sentence The sound of the alarm clock was an irritating intrusion into the comfortable haze of sleep that wrapped its arms around Violet.

Synopsis
Violet can sense echos from the bodies of the murdered. She's suddenly having new feelings for her best friend Jay, and there's a serial killer in town killing young girls. It's a lot to deal with and to make things worse, if she helps the police, it will lead the killer right to her.

General thoughts
Despite too much telling not showing, and the amount of adjectives, and the lack of excitement I was expecting, I was still trying to enjoy this one but there was way too much romance! Ahhhh! First off, Jay was completely unrealistic. With all the girls following him around, and his goofy smile, and his holding her hand, and talking to her on the phone, and the tickle fights...I was going nuts. And then we see that he isn't perfect, after all. (well, at least in my opinion) He's a control freak. What is it with authors creating all these control freak guys. Is that really appealing to girls?! Seriously?! He was one step away from standing over Violet with a bloody fist saying, "look what you made me do?!". Argh! I hate guys like that. Anywho, I guess what I'm trying to say is I wanted this one to be more about Violet's interesting talent and the mystery and adventure and it was just pages and pages of romance. And then, at the end, I started thinking, "oh, boy! Maybe the reason she's talking Jay up so much is because she wants us to be sad when she kills him". No such luck! I'll continue the series in the hope that it will be a little more adventurous and less romantic but I don't have much faith in that happening. I could go on and on about what bugged me but I won't. You're welcome. ;)

Characters
Violet: I wanted to like her but any girl that dates a guy who's that controlling...yeah, no respect here.
Jay: Do I need to say anything else nasty about this unrealistic guy with control freak issues?
Violet's friends: Yes, I'm not separating them. Why? Because they were all the "cliche" friends. There was no substance or depth to them. I felt like they were just there to make Violet seem well adjusted.
The Killer: I actually enjoyed the chapters from his perspective the most. Not because I liked him but because the writing was honest and simple and at least we weren't listening to Jay and Violet talk about who loved who more.

Would I recommend it?
Meh, I've read worse. If you WUUUV romance then this is the book for you, but if you were expecting a little more action...I'd look elsewhere.

7 comments:

  1. ROFL!! OMG Jenny, I love your review of this so much! I really don't understand why everyone likes it so much, you are right it's basically a romance novel. so glad to find someone who shares my thoughts on it!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cait, Thanks! I really need to check out everyone's review of this one because I was thinking everyone loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh thanks for the warning on the control freak bf. I think I'll pass this one for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of people really like this book! I have no idea why if it's rife with creepy overprotective pseudo best friends :( Glad you reviewed it so I don't have to find out the hard way that I wouldn't like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Selina, Urgh! He was so annoying!

    Lan, You're welcome but I've read worse. So if you're stranded on a island and this is the only book you have with you and you get bored of watching the palm trees then I guess you might not hate it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not number 2. I kind of think that's just stupid, no insult intended. At times I'm a number 1, but it's more because the book seems interesting to me or because I'm getting the chance to meet the author. I think I'm mostly 3. I'll read whatever I want whenever I want. I'll even try to read things I don't want to read just to broaden my horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had heard that the book was more telling than showing and that the romance was nice. I do enjoy a good romantic element to a story that's not specifically a romance. :) Nice honest review! I like that.

    ReplyDelete