Monday, September 19, 2011

Review: City of Ashes

Title City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments 2)
By Cassandra Clare
For Fun
Source I own it

First sentence "Are you still mad?"



Synopsis
The adventures continue as Clary and Jace try to deal with their feelings and Valentine's plans for power take a dangerous turn.

General thoughts
I'm sorry this is going to be a horribly boring review. Which pretty much reflect my opinion of the book. I had a little harder time getting into this one. Usually, unlike most people, I'm a huge fan of the second book in a series, the "filler\bridge" book, but this one just didn't do it for me. I think it was more of a mood thing than a dislike of the book, though. This time around I was a little more bothered by all the adverbs. I was irritated with Clary's wimpyness and I was bored with the "relationship" between Clary and Jace. Still, at the end things picked up and some new twists intrigued me enough to want to continue the story.

Characters
Clary: Argh! The truth is I would be just as wimpy in her place but come on! Learn to fight or something now! Sheesh!
Jace: The only thing worse than an arrogant guy is an arrogant guy who uses said arrogance as a defense mechanism.
Simon: I still like him but not as a love interest for Clary; he deserves better than her.
Alec: I liked him, but I still feel like he and Isabelle are just sidekicks with no real depth of their own. Maybe I'm missing something
Isabelle: I actually decided I don't like her, she's too whiny and girly.
Luke: Still liking him and his loyalty.
Magnus: Um, there's something about him being no old but old, going after a teenager that disturbs me, but, that aside, I like him.
Maia: Now here's a girl I want to get to know better.
Valentine: I have to mention him because he rightfully pisses me off just like a bad guy should. Every time he opens his mouth I want to step into the book and punch him!

Would I recommend it? 
I'm actually using this little part of my review to recommend this book to all those who gave up because of the Jace Clary thing. I don't know how it will end but I can predict their little relationship won't be an issue. These books are pretty predictable.

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you sort of liked it. If you want Clary to kick some a** wait until City of Fallen Angels. She definitely kicks some demon a** in that book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was pretty much how I felt about this book/the whole series. (although I think I read the third one first, so I get them confused). Anyway, I never did get the love for Jace because that's exactly what I thought of him! He kind of bothered me.
    I'm usually a fan of the middle book in a series, too. But I've read a couple lately that I didn't love. Sorry this one wasn't a winner for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenni, Well, at least she kicks butt soon!

    Kathy, Yeah, I don't get what everyone see's in Jace but I rarely like the guy everyone else does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say give them a break, otherwise the stuff that bugs you will bug you even more. Now you are all caught up with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suey, Well, I want to finish the series this fall but I think I will take a break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son gobbled up this series but I haven't talked myself into trying them, just yet. Sorry this one was not too exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you, I REALLY don't see what all the fuss is about with this series... or with Jace. It's OK, at best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha I totally gave up because of the whole Jace/Clary thing...too Star Wars meets Harry Potter for me...but maybe I'll give it a try anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bookfool, Oh, they're ok. Nothing to rush out and read but they're not bad.

    Belle, Yeah, I don't get the Jace thing and I'm not blown away by the books but they're ok.

    Natalie, Well, if it wasn't just the Jace\Clary thing maybe you wouldn't like the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what do you mean by "give up on Jace/Clary thing?" Impossible! :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean, I didn't like this one as much as the first book in the series, but I remember that I still really enjoyed it. The 4th one was my least favorite.

    Im a new follower. I was sent your way by Jessica over @ thoughts at one in the morning.

    Do you have an email subscription widget? I would really like to follow you by email.

    -Michelle @ Book briefs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amber, Um, do you mean what I said under my recommendation? I know lots of people who gave up on this series after the first one because of the Jace\Clary thing. I was recommending they continue reading anyways.

    Michelle, Um, gee I don't know. Let me check that out. LOL, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't get past the first book to read this one but going by what you've said I'm glad I didn't waste my time. I don't get the Jace thing either but so many readers are totally in love with him. I'm stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lan, I know, I don't get what the fascination with Jace is. No thanks!

    ReplyDelete